WellPoint, Inc. is one of the largest health benefits companies in the United States. Through its networks nationwide, the company delivers a number of leading health benefit solutions through a broad portfolio of integrated health care plans and related services, along with a wide range of specialty products such as life and disability insurance benefits, dental, vision, behavioral health benefit services, as well as long term care insurance and flexible spending accounts.
Headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, WellPoint, Inc. is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association serving members in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Virginia and Wisconsin; and specialty plan members in other states through UniCare.
Please select the date range you’re interested in viewing and then select the year from the corresponding blue box below.
Blue Cross of California creates the for-profit WellPoint Health Networks to operate its managed care business.
Anthem merges with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kentucky. This was the first cross-state merger of two strong Blue plans.
Anthem merges with Community Mutual, a Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan in Ohio.
- WellPoint Health Networks and Blue Cross of California merge, forming a single stockholder owned company.
- WellPoint Health Networks acquires the Group Life and Health Subsidiary of Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company.
Anthem merges with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Connecticut.
Anthem acquires Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Hampshire and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Colorado and Nevada.
- Anthem acquires Blue Cross Blue Shield of Maine.
- WellPoint Health Networks acquires Rush Prudential Health Plans of Illinois.
- WellPoint Health Networks acquires the Texas based mail service pharmacy fulfillment center of RxAmerica.
- Anthem Insurance demutualization and Initial Public Offering of Anthem, Inc.
- WellPoint acquires Cerulean Companies Inc., the parent company of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia.
- Anthem acquires Trigon Healthcare of Virginia, a Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan in Virginia.
- WellPoint Health Networks acquires RightCHOICE, the parent company of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Missouri and HealthLink.
- WellPoint Health Networks acquires MethodistCare, an HMO in Texas.
- WellPoint Health Networks acquires Golden West Dental and Vision, a provider of dental and vision plans in California.
- WellPoint Health Networks acquires Cobalt Corp. and its family of companies, including Blue Cross and Blue Shield United of Wisconsin.
Anthem, Inc. and WellPoint Health Networks, Inc. merge to become WellPoint, Inc.
- WellPoint, Inc. acquires Lumenos, the pioneer and market leader in consumer driven health plans.
- WellPoint, Inc. and WellChoice, Inc. merge, making New York the 14th state in which WellPoint is a Blue Cross Blue Shield licensee.
WellPoint, Inc. acquires Imaging Management Holdings, LLC, whose sole business is the holding company parent of American Imaging Management, Inc., or AIM. AIM is a leading radiology benefit management and technology company.
WellPoint, Inc. acquires Resolution Health, Inc., a leading data analytics-driven personal health care guidance company.
- WellPoint, Inc. acquires DeCare Dental, one of the country’s largest administrators of dental plans.
- WellPoint, Inc. completes the sale of its NextRx subsidiaries to Express Scripts.
- WellPoint, Inc. completes the transition of its commercial UniCare membership in Illinois and Texas to Health Care Service Corporation.
WellPoint acquires CareMore Health Group, a senior focused health care delivery program that includes Medicare Advantage plans and clinics designed to deliver proactive, integrated, individualized health care.
- WellPoint acquires 1-800 CONTACTS, Inc., which offers customers online sales of contact lenses, eyeglasses and other ocular products.
- WellPoint acquires Amerigroup Corporation, one of the nation’s leading managed care companies that is focused on meeting the health care needs of financially vulnerable Americans.