Pregnant women, children and families
From our very beginning, Wellpoint has been committed to supporting our members at every age to live their best lives through expanded access to preventive care, integrated care management, innovative programs, and partnerships that strengthen community resources and services.
We deliver holistic, person-centered care to meet members' needs and address their goals and preferences through our Population Health management model.
A healthy start to life
Wellpoint is committed to helping women, babies, families, and communities attain the best possible health outcomes. Our comprehensive Maternal Child Health Program addresses maternal and newborn health risks by ensuring members have access to the information, care, and support needed to stay healthy before, during, and after pregnancy.
We also invest in innovative solutions and collaborations to increase the use of safe, evidence-based practices in maternity care, and reduce unnecessary medical interventions in labor and delivery.
Our program, You and Your Baby in the NICU, supports parents in coping with the day-to-day stress of having a baby in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and prepares parents and their homes for baby’s discharge from the hospital.
Recognizing that the stress of having a critically ill infant in the NICU can result in post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) among parents and loved ones, we developed a NICU PTSD program for at-risk parents of NICU babies.
- 77% of individuals identified as having PTSD symptoms accepted referrals for treatment.
- 80% of those who accepted a referral for treatment remained engaged with their provider at one-month follow up.
- 91% of individuals reached at the one-month follow up reported improved awareness of PTSD.
Partnerships with national and local organizations help our programs to be successful. The CenteringPregnancy® prenatal care model has been shown to decrease the rate of preterm and low birth weight babies, increase breastfeeding rates, and improve pregnancy spacing among participants.
Wellpoint and its parent company Elevance Health support CenteringPregnancy® by building awareness of the impact and benefits of this model. Through enhanced data collection, reporting, and communications, we hope to make this program easier for providers to adopt.
The CenteringPregnancy® program initiative has resulted in:
- 3.5% NICU rate compared to 13.9 NICU rate among the comparison group1
- An estimated NICU cost savings of $86,0002
Improving the health of individuals and communities
We use a population health model to improve the health of our members and their communities, address public health priorities, and advance health equity.
Our approach to population health management is built on an understanding of multiple factors (social, economic, familial, cultural, and physical environment). We recognize that these factors influence health conditions, health-related behaviors, and health outcomes among members in different geographic locations and diverse demographic groups.
Our population health model encompasses:
- Targeted clinical programs based on analytics identifying member needs and opportunities
- Member engagement strategies ranging from prevention to person-centered care plans for chronic and complex clinical conditions
- Community partnerships to address a range of health and psychosocial issues from opioid use to tobacco cessation to obesity and nutrition
- Robust data informatics that include predictive modeling and social determinants of health
- Integrated care management that cares for the individual holistically and in coordination with our network of providers and community-based organizations
- An unwavering focus on quality, not only for member interventions, but also provider education and incentives that promote value-based care
- Community- and state-level policy support to advance clinical and social system redesign and provider engagement
Wellpoint population health management model
- Support CHIPS and community-based programs
- Empowerment navigators
- Public health initiatives and policy advancement support
- Network management through value-based payment model
- Predictive modeling, analytics, and ongoing monitoring
- Health promotion and wellness
- Chronic condition managent
- Care management and clinical programs
What our members say
"I have been very satisfied with Wellpoint and am glad that I chose them to help me with my first pregnancy and first child. Thanks Wellpoint!"
– Shakora, Wellpoint member
Medication-assisted opioid treatment
We know access to opioid treatment can be challenging in rural and frontier areas. In one of our affiliated plans, Wellpoint contracted with Bright Heart Health, an opioid treatment program designed specifically for delivery via telemedicine.
Clinicians create an individualized treatment plan to address substance abuse and addiction, including prescription drugs.
1Psychiatria Danubina, 2014; Vol. 26, No. 4, pp 347-352.
2Elevance Health Program Study Results